In this tutorial I will show you how to install a website platform for your Derby business website.
A website platform, or content management system (CMS), makes it really easy to manage your website, edit the design, and publish content (pages and posts).
This is the fourth step in this 5 part series:
- How to Register a Domain Name
- How to Set Up a Web Hosting Account
- How to Point DNS to Host
- How to Install a Website Platform for Your Derby Business Website (You are here)
- How to Install a New Design or Theme
There are many website platforms on the market and I will show you some options that will be available to you.Table Of Contents
What Type Of Platform Will I Need For My Business Website?
The type of platform you need for your Derby business website will depend on how you intend to use your site.
Will it be:
- a blog
- an ecommerce store
- an online forum
- a brochure site
- a microblog
This really depends on the type of website your business needs.
Are you a local service? Will you be selling goods online? Will you be using your site just to promote your business (more like an online business card or brochure?
I will show you how easy it is to install a platform directly through your host account using a website auto installer. You will have a wide choice of website platforms available to you if you signed up with SiteGround as shown in step number two of this series.
Please note: I only recommend tools that I personally use and have used. Certain links on this page do contain a referral link, also known as an affiliate link. It works like this, I tell you about an amazing product or service, you click on the link and make a purchase, I earn a commission.
It is a way of saying thank you from the company for sending them a new customer, and by using the affiliate links, you are helping me to create even better content that will help you be more successful with your business. You can find a link to the DKP Marketing affiliate disclosure policy in the footer of the site for further information.
How Do I Install A Website Platform On My Hosting Account?
Many popular hosting accounts use the Softaculous Auto Installer that integrates with cPanel, Plesk, etc.
Your site doesn’t include support for the “uagb/blockquote” block. You can leave this block intact, convert its content to a Custom HTML block, or remove it entirely.Keep as HTMLSoftaculous is a leading Auto Installer having 451 great scripts, 1115 PHP Classes and we are still adding more. Softaculous is widely used in the Web Hosting industry and it has helped millions of users install applications by the click of a button. Softaculous- Softaculous.com
To install a website platform, you input the details for your website and then the auto installer will do the rest.
The process takes very little time and you can have a website ready in minutes.
Once the website platform is installed, you just need to add the content and edit your pages to your liking.
What Site Platforms Can I Install For My Business Website?
Using the Softaculous script, you will have access to large number of platforms to meet the majority of your requirements.
Visiting Softaculous on your SiteGround admin area (cPanel), this is what you will see.
(1) This tells you the number of platforms that are installed on your account. You are also shown ‘Outdated Installations’; platforms that need to be updated to their latest version. Lastly, the number of backups you have.
Note: I manage my website backups in a way that is not reflected in the Softaculous admin area.
(2) Shows popular platforms that you can install – represented as ‘Top Scripts’. (3) You can navigate to the available platforms by category.
By clicking on the ecommerce category, you will be presented with only ecommerce platforms.
(1) Quick access to the popular ecommerce platforms. (2) The name of the platform. (3) Information about the platform. (4) Version information, ratings, release date, reviews and view information. (5) Click ‘Demo’ to see a live demo of the platform. Not all scripts have a ‘live’ demo.
You have a varied choice of platforms that you can choose from.
As you can see, you have a large choice of auto installers that you can use for your Derby business website.
How Do I Use Softaculous To Install A Website Platform?
You will need to login to your SiteGround account and head to your cPanel area to follow along.
Locate ‘Softaculous’ or ‘WordPress’ underneath the heading ‘Autoinstallers’.
Softaculous, as discussed above, gives you access to all site installation scripts. Click on the Softaculous ‘icon’ to look at the other platforms that are available to you. To install WordPress, click on ‘WordPress’.
Then click on the ‘dropdown arrow next to ‘Install’ and select ‘Custom Install’.
Complete your website details.
(1) You can leave this as it is to install the latest release of WordPress. (2) Select the option that makes the most sense for your site (read about www vs non-www). Choose http:// for now and you can change this later after you’ve configured an SSL certificate for your site.
(3) Make sure the domain you want to install WordPress on is selected. (4) Give your website a name and (5) a brief description (some themes show this as a tagline).
(1) Enter an ‘Admin Username’, an (2) ‘Admin Password’ (be sure to choose a strong password), an (3) ‘Admin Email’, and then (4) ‘Select Language’ for your site.
Lastly, (1) you can tick to install ‘Loginizer’ as an extra security layer. You can select to install the classic editor to return WordPress to an older post/page writing interface. Personally, I like the new Gutenberg ‘blocks’ system.
(2) I never use the ‘WordPress Starter’ themes and plugins. It is personal choice if you wish to install these and test them out for yourself. (3) You can edit ‘Database Name’ and ‘Table Prefix’. Removing signs to ‘wp’ is recommended for improved security. (4) Now click on ‘Install’ to begin the installation process.
After the Softaculous auto installer has completed, you will be presented with your site admin URL.
Be sure to add your admin link to your bookmarks bar for quick access in the future.
Click on the ‘Administrative URL’ to go to your newly installed WordPress website.
Please note, to access your website login/admin area, add /wp-admin to the end of your domain URL.
For example: https://demo.dkpmarketing.co.uk/wp-admin.
If you are not already logged in, you will be redirected to the login screen. (1) Use your login credentials that you created above to ‘log in’. Press the (2) ‘Log In’ button to be taken to your WordPress admin dashboard.
If you are already logged in, you will automatically arrive at your WordPress admin dashboard whenever you go to the /wp-admin URL.
Take some time to familiarize yourself with the different areas of the WP dashboard.
Now you have seen how easy it is to install WordPress, you can complete the steps to install any of the available website platforms for you business website.